Appendix 6: A Glossary of Terms and Concepts Used in the Preface to the First Chinese Edition of the Teachings of Master Hanjing
1 The Three Principles of the People are Principles of Nationalism, Principles of Democracy and Principles of People’s Livelihood.
2 A striver is a person that was initiated by the Lord of Universe Church. The Chinese term “striver” implies that believers strive together.
3 The five cardinal disciplines include:
(1) living the Twenty Watchwords,
(2) reflecting and repenting,
(3) chanting the two Orisons,
(4) quiet sitting (meditating),
(5) filling out the striving card.
The four cardinal disciplines include all but quiet sitting of the above.
4 The Three Treasures are: the treasure of God, the treasure of the Dao, and the treasure of the teacher. [Not to be confused with the three bodily treasures: jing, qi, and shen.]
5 The Three Mottos:
(1) Emulate the laws of nature and you will succeed in life; exercise your virtues by doing good deeds and always follow the principle of moderation.
(2) Take worldly matters lightly and ask for nothing but to keep the Dao heart [also called Dao mindset.] Always remember the traditional Chinese teaching of following the unbiased path throughout your life.
(3) Treat all beings with the same kind heart. Respond to all happenings with an unbiased heart. Keep the harmony of all lives and things as they evolve so that one day we may reach the realm of abundance and unity.
(一)承天效法 一貫大成 克明止善 永達厥中
(二)淡泊寧靜 滌新道心 前王不忘 惟始惟終
(三)平等同仁 無為大公 協和敦化 允進康同
6 The Four Precepts of Church Regulations include:
(1) Precepts of Living, (2) Precepts of Striving, (3) Precepts of Equality, and (4) Precepts of Unity.
7 “Code of Life”: The Code of Life, written by Hierarch Xiao Changming, entails the definitions of each of the Twenty Watchwords in detail with examples. They are the precepts that strivers of the Lord of Universe go by in their daily living.
8 The Twenty Watchwords are: Loyalty, Forgiveness, Incorruptibility, Insight, Virtue,
Rectitude, Justice, Trustworthiness, Forbearance, Altruism,
Philanthropy, Filial Piety, Benevolence, Compassion, Awareness,
Integrity, Moderation, Truthfulness, Propriety, Harmony.
9 The Supreme Truth-Blossom Vehicle Method for reaching the highest heaven is the abbreviated form for “the Supreme Truth-Blossom Vehicle Method for reaching the highest heaven, which is a natural, non- purposive mindfulness.” Other three terms of this method, “directly practicing a natural, non-purposive mindfulness for cultivating the great empty Dao of the highest heaven,” the “Supreme Truth- Blossom Vehicle Method of Chinese Original Quiet Sitting,” and the “Mindfulness of the Highest Heaven Method” are, in fact, referring to the same method; thus are used interchangeably throughout the text.
10 “The End Time of the Third Epoch”
(1) According to Master Teacher, we are in this period right now and the End Time of the Third Epoch will be the Third World War. Keep in mind that the first and second World Wars were not indicators of the End Times of the first two Epochs. There were End Times of the First Epoch and the Second Epoch. Master Teacher did not specify when and where they took place.
(2) The End Time of the Third Epoch also refers to the End Time of the three domains: the heavenly domain, the human domain and the underworld domain. During the End Time of the Third Epoch all living beings and spirits in the three domains will be destroyed.
The process of the End Time of the Third Epoch: the Six Phases of Onset, Purification, Leveling, Spring, Abundance, and Unity.